20090311

"Hey, what a wonderful kind of day!"


HEY IT'S ARTHUR! I love its theme song to death. And just writing this blog produces several tears since I hardly (euphemism for NEVER) watch these shows anymore. :'( It's sad, but I'm glad this blog-writing project gives me an opportunity to remember those great times!

I think my title says it all: the optimism, the sense of right and wrong one can learn by reveling in the protagonist's mistakes, and the sheer passion these adorable adolescents exhibit towards life in general HAS REALLY, REALLY built my conscience to a degree where I can make firm decisions and "be my own person" as Mr. D would say.

Even to this day I can still remember the episode when Arthur apprehensively attends the Spelling Bee, and the word he receives is *dramatic pause* AARDVARK. Surprise, surprise for fanatics of the show! I can never ever forget the song he crafts:
AA-RA-VARK!
By being an only child (which really, REALLY SUCKS), I was intrigued whenever I vicariously watched the intense confrontations between D.W. and Arthur. And who could ever forget the obnoxious, bullying Francine? Need I mention Buster, the crazy rabbit who stores "antique food" and believes in aliens? Muffy, the affluent fashionista (who ironically wears the same clothes everyday)? Binky, the bully with a tender heart and who loves ballet? George, the ventriloquist?

The surprising thing is I STILL REMEMBER ALL THIS. It's a part of who I am, really. I don't have to look up online, "Oh what was his friend's name again?"

And to me, that's the power of ANIMATION: to dream, to wish, to believe.

How has animation changed YOUR life?

11 comments:

  1. AHHH!! I remember this show! I use to watch it all the time hehe

    I think this is a really cool idea for a blog :) Everyone can relate to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to LOVE this show :) Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, Arthur! I used to love that show! Yeah, you're right- animation is actually really influential. I probably learned about morality a lot by watching shows like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This show is pretty much where I got the bulk of my inspiration from. But I still don't know if he was a bear or a mouse... I guess it's time to consult the omniscient "Wikipedia."

    Love the blog, btw :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. D.W. once nursed a hatred for all things spinach, frustrating her family with this picky eating habit. Eventually, she devoured a spinach-filled pot pie at a restaurant and vociferously proclaimed that spinach is delicious, showing the world that you will get to love food if you just try it.

    As things turn out, D.W. lied and spinach is still disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHAHA. I remember that! x]

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahah, i never watched this show on tv, but i DEFINITELY read the Arthur books!!!

    i'm hoping you review the show, kenny the shark, which nobody has EVER heard of or remembers (and maybe its before your time ;) ) but that would seriously make my life =]]

    also, another favorite would be ROCKET POWER!!! that is a must. no questions. =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used to love the theme song too when i watched it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i remember this show.. & i used to read the books too :)
    definitely a happyhappy theme song, haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should monetize this site. With the number of hits you get, you could be making a lot of money

    ReplyDelete