20090325

Bear


Amidst the jungles of India lies a lone bear, drenched in the rain. Wide awake, his conscience skulks from his slumped body. Flashes of red and orange entangle to produce a fiery beam that penetrate his mind's eye. Through these flames a face appears. Eagerly unveiling its pearl white teeth, a malevolent tiger grins.
The fury subsides. A child floats into the picture. With a blend of curiosity, astonishment, and fear encompassing his eyes, he frowns. He loved him so much that every minute, every heartbeat, every breath he wanted to protect him.

I squirmed into the bear skin and looked through his eyes. I imagined further than my observations. More than ever could I realize the feelings of a bear. Feelings that I could hardly imagine - the complexity of attachment, the beauty of friendship, and the love for another. These qualities of a bear surprised me and taught me a beautiful life lesson.

"Baloo, get up. Oh, please wake up."

The rain pours harder and thumps of droplets confront the sodden ground.

“Greater love hath no one than he who lays down his life for his friend,” Bageera said. “Whenever great deeds are remembered in this jungle, one name will stand above all others… our friend, Baloo the bear.”

1 comment: